Sunday, September 23, 2007

Which way does God lean?

I have had this small thought bubbling in my head for a while, it probably entered my head a year and a half from now as I was strolling through bandstand. Offlate it has been trying to push its way out, through my upper middle class, sometimes greed driven mindset. I could discern its voice as I watched the first few scenes of ‘Cider House Rules’ where Michael Cain so succinctly puts it “Orphan babies learn not to cry; they realize its of no use". It got louder as I was going back home in a cab listening to this rather mediocre Hindi song from the 90s. It had a decent guitar solo from a guy no one will hear about. He played really well given the almost un-creative limitations set by the music director and I couldn’t help but think, “If only he were born in the Summer of Love in America!” And this thought almost ripped my mind apart as I was reading ‘ A thousand splendid sons’ (By the way I SWEAR I will NEVER read Hosseini again- Great great author but I cannot take the pain in his books, its too damn real) It got so loud that I had to keep the book aside and start furiously hitting the keys on my laptop.

So the crux of the thought is this, Why are people made unequal? Why does one kid drive by in his car on his way to college staring out of his tinted windows at the world outside, A world that holds his dreams of excellence, a dream to be someone big, in his jock language “Be a superstud once in his life before he calls it a day” while on the other side of the window there are dirty street kids deftly balancing their tyres with sticks picked off the road thinking about how much money they will have to collect today to fuel their fathers drunken frenzies. Why are some women educated, well employed, empowered enough to feel nothing about bitching to their boyfriends about their ex’s who couldn’t give them a good orgasm while for some women sex is nothing but an act of enduring pain and submitting to a man’s borderline violent desires. Why do we have couples who forgive, learn, grow and stick together and couples that never learn, never forgive and fall apart? Why is someone pretty and someone else ugly, why is one man taller than the other? Why is someone given the brains to pick up stuff in an hour while someone with much more sincerity takes days grappling with the same?

I know I have written a lot about inequality and how it is good for the country, the civilization. I know I have made it clear that I am a card carrying capitalist who believes that some men have the right to be better off than others, but today I think I realize why communism and all other forms of leveling the playing field for everyone were doomed from the outset. The one who started it all, God is a capitalist, and not just economically. I am not so sure I like it very much.

3 Comments:

Blogger Manita Shinh said...

Well...some Indian religions say the reason is things we did in previous births...though one wonders if these are things we invent to ease our conscience…or to explain causes to ourselves of things we cannot see…though by corollary…we need to keep doing good things to stay on this side of the window…later in life, or in later lives. And then the question that arises is if we knew there were no punishment…would we do harm knowingly in our own interest…

8:56 AM  
Blogger Shrutters said...

Well done Mr. Laddoo !
Why do u sound so confused abt equality tho? i wld think a boy living in bbay wld embrace the inequality coz it is soooo strongly present in the city of sin ! Isn't it us who creates these inequalities in a sense? Who says the boy who is thinking about his father's drunken antics can not have the same dreams as the rich kid driving his fancy car? I personally believe it is all in the mind. India is a country where first world millionaires live along side with third world poverty...I applaud this sadistic life...in a country as big as India most people tend to ignore someone who is not the same as them. God really has nothing to do with it. He just sits high up and laughs at the stupidity of humans who divide ppl on the basis of colour, and most importantly economy ! Economy is the backbone of inequality...money feeds the minds of people to treat people differently !
But then again this is my thought and heaven knows much more random than yours and probably doesn't even make sense ! xx

2:38 AM  
Blogger Satanic Angel said...

i hate it even more.

7:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home